Photos: Search for Indonesia earthquake victims continues

1 hour ago 3

At least 68 killed in eastern Indonesia as aftershocks and landslides hamper aid.

Indonesia Earthquake

A man walks past a building that collapsed during an earthquake in Reok, East Nusa Tenggara province, Indonesia. [Firdia Lisnawati/AP Photo]

Published On 17 Aug 2026

Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia struck by a powerful earthquake that has killed at least 68 people are waiting for aid as rescuers search through collapsed buildings for those believed to be trapped beneath the rubble.

Late on Monday, the death toll was revised from 54 to 68, said Berton SP Panjaitan, an official at Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), adding that more than 200 people have been injured.

Thousands were evacuated following the country’s deadliest disaster since a 2022 earthquake killed hundreds in West Java. Many are sheltering outdoors in tents and are afraid to return home due to the risk of aftershocks.

The quake has cast a grim shadow over Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrations, and residents of East Nusa Tenggara province have been jolted by nearly 1,600 aftershocks in the province as of Monday, Panjaitan said.

The country’s geophysics agency reported a magnitude 5.6 earthquake in the region on Monday morning.

The quake also triggered landslides and blocked roads across Indonesia’s southernmost province, including the districts of Sikka and Manggarai.

Authorities have readied aircraft to deliver aid including food and tents, Panjaitan said. BNPB has previously reported that around 500 homes were damaged.

Indonesia Earthquake

A bystander surveys a mosque that collapsed following the 7.7-magnitude earthquake in Satar Kampas village, East Manggarai, Indonesia. [Handout/Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency via AFP]

Indonesia Earthquake

Rescuers search through damaged buildings for those believed to be trapped beneath the rubble, in Satar Kampas. [Handout/Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency via AFP]

Indonesia Earthquake

Collapsed houses in Satar Kampas. [Handout/Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency via AFP]

Indonesia Earthquake

A man sits near a collapsed building in Reok, East Nusa Tenggara. [Aquila Handayani Abbas/AP Photo]

Indonesia Earthquake

The aftermath of a tsunami triggered by the 7.7-magnitude earthquake in Flores Island. [Ignasius Kunda/Anadolu]

Indonesia Earthquake

Patients receive treatment in an emergency tent at the Santo Gabriel Kewapante Hospital in Sikka. [Arnold Welianyo/AFP]

Indonesia Earthquake

The 7.7-magnitude quake early on Saturday killed 68 people, according to an updated toll, and injured more than 200. [Arnold Welianyo/AFP]

Indonesia Earthquake

Thousands have been evacuated following the earthquake. [Ignasius Kunda/Anadolu]

Read Entire Article
Berita Olahraga Berita Pemerintahan Berita Otomotif Berita International Berita Dunia Entertainment Berita Teknologi Berita Ekonomi